Who does this policy apply to? All customers and users of the products, services, websites, apps, and other digital services offered by Crowd Security and other members and affiliates of the Crowd Security organization. In some instances, our products and services or those offered by a third-party service provider to our customers or users have their own specific privacy policies.
What information does this policy not apply to? Any information that we de-identify, aggregate or anonymize to identify trends, manage our business, develop statistical information, understand how we are performing, or develop relevant products, services or offers. Such information may also be shared with third parties for other analytical purposes but will not personally identify any individual.
What Information Crowd Security Collects:
- In General: When you use our website(s), service(s), and your device(s) you may be asked to provide personal information such as:
- Name and/or business name
- Home address and/or business address
- Home, business, and/or mobile telephone number
- Email address
- Credit, debit, or other payment account number and related information
- Date of birth or other identifying personal characteristics
- Social Security Number
- Emergency contact list information about others
- Personal identification code
- Product Specific: Certain device(s) or service(s) may collect additional information such as:
- Audio, video, and still-image recordings from your monitoring device(s)
- Geolocation and GPS information including physical location of your device(s) by using satellite, cell phone tower, or Wi-Fi signals
- Motion detection, accelerometer activity, and climate conditions surrounding your device(s)
- Monitoring event information such as arming and disarming your device(s)
- Internet protocol (IP) addresses, internet service provider (ISP), date/time stamp, and/or other event data which is automatically collected and stored in log files
How Crowd Security Collects Information: We primarily collect information about you, from you. Your personal and non-personal information is collected in various ways in connection with our website(s), service(s), and your device(s):
- In many cases you give information directly to us. For example, you may be required to provide us personal information when:
- Registering for the service(s) or an account with us
- Activating your device(s)
- Signing up for special offers from Crowd Security and selected third
- Submitting a paper form or transmitting information to us online or via
- Submitting your credit card or other payment information
- Receiving our service(s) including talking with sales representatives,
- service technicians, and customer service and monitoring centers (some
- of which may be recorded to ensure service(s) quality and to maintain an
- accurate record of our communications with you)
- Visiting and interacting with our website(s).
- We may also collect your information using cookies or similar technologies to analyze trends, administer our websites, track users’ movements around our websites, and to gather demographic information about our users as a whole, for example:
- Mobile Application: We may collect information such as registration and activation information from our mobile application(s) associated with our service(s) and your device(s).
- Device Data: We may collect various types of data and event information from your device(s) by using cameras, microphones, GPS, or other monitoring sensors.
- Cookies: We may receive and store certain information about your browsing preferences by using Crowd Security and third-party cookies. Cookies are small text files placed on your computer to customize your experience.
- Web Beacons: We may collect information about your browsing activities by using web beacons. Web beacons are transparent graphic pixels that are placed on web pages that enable us or a third party to track your actions on our website(s) and deliver interest-based advertisements.
- Local Stored Objects: We may store information about your browsing activities through locally stored objects by using technologies such as “Flash cookies” and HTML5 (“LSOs”). LSOs tack your actions and store information about your preferences and can be used by third party partners to deliver interest-based advertisements.
- Social Media Features: Our website(s) include social media features that may collect your Internet Protocol (IP) address of the page you are visiting and may set a cookie to enable the feature to function properly. These features are either hosted by a third party or hosted directly by us.
- Log Files: We gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data.
- Mobile: When you download and use our service(s), we may automatically collect information on the type of device you use, operating system version, and the unique device identifier (or “UDID”). We collect your location-based information as part our service(s) to identify your location for dispatching or sharing with emergency service providers. We will only share this information with third party services for the sole purpose of providing you our service(s). You may opt-out of location-based services at any time by editing the setting at the device level. We also use mobile analytics software to allow us to better understand the functionality of our mobile software on your phone. This software may record information such as how often you use the application, the events that occur within the application, aggregated usage, performance data, and where the application was downloaded from. We do not link the information we store within the analytics software to any personally identifiable information you submit within the mobile application.
We may combine the above information with other information we collect or receive from other sources, such as public databases, joint marketing partners, social media platforms, and other third parties including, but not limited to, credit reporting bureaus. We use the information collected from third party sources to determine the suitability of extending credit and for marketing purposes.
Your personal and non-personal information is collected in a variety of ways on Crowd Security’s websites and when using Crowd Security’s security services including through your Internet-connected device(s). Certain Crowd Security products or services may require the collection of additional information such as audio, video, location information, and information about the device’s surroundings. You may be required to provide a minimum amount of information in order to receive Crowd Security’s services.
Information Use and Sharing
How Crowd Security Uses Your Information: We may use the personal and non-personal information you provide us for our business purposes, including:
- Setting up your service(s) including establishing your Crowd Security account and profile
- Providing your service(s) including responding to alarm and security events
- Processing payments for your service(s)
- Contacting you regarding your service(s) and responding to your inquiries and comments
- Enhancing, improving, or modifying our website(s) and service(s)
- Developing new products and services
- Conducting data analysis, including fraud monitoring and prevention
- Providing marketing and promotional materials
- Customer retention, feedback, and reactivation programs
- Engaging in lead generation activities
If you submit any information to us relating to another person, you represent that you have the authority to do so and to permit us to use the information in accordance with this policy. We will only use that information for the specific reason for which it was provided to us.
How Crowd Security Shares Your Information: We share your information in the following ways:
- Third Party Providers: We do not sell your information to third parties for their own marketing purposes. We may share your information with partners and service providers (including Crowd Security Authorized Dealers) to provide some of our service(s) and to complete our business purposes as described above. Before we share personal information, we enter into written agreements with the business partners which contain data protection terms that safeguard your data. These companies may use your personal information only as necessary to provide these services to us, except as otherwise authorized by you for another purpose. We will also enable you to revoke any such authorization in a manner equivalent to that by which you provided it or by otherwise contacting us as provided below, if you no longer want us to share your personal information for such purpose.
- Emergency Services: To provide our service(s), we will share your information with persons designated in your contact list and third-party emergency service providers such as police departments, fire departments, and emergency medical services.
- Legal Authorities: We may also disclose your information for legal reasons including to comply with a subpoena or court order or similar legal process, to cooperate with law enforcement, or when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request.
- Transfer in the Event of Sale or Change of Control: We may transfer your information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock, including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings.
- Cross-Border Transfer: We may transfer, store, and/or access your information electronically or in hard copy in Canada. We follow generally accepted standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once it is received. Such information is subject to the laws of the country in which it is transferred, stored, or accessed.
Note: Our website(s) and service(s) may include links to third-party websites and use third party services. If you submit personal information to any third-party websites or service providers, your information is governed by their privacy policies. This policy does not address the privacy practices of any third-party websites or service providers.
How Crowd Security Obtains Consent: Each time you provide any personal information to us through our Site(s), Service(s), or your Device(s), you consent to the collection, use, and disclosure/sharing such information according to this Policy. Where required, consent for the collection, use, and disclosure/sharing of your information may be obtained either expressly or implied. Your express consent may be given in writing, verbally or electronically. Your implied consent may be given through an action you have taken, such as supplying your personal information for a specified purpose. For example, when you provide us your address, it is implied that it is used for billing purposes and service provisioning. However, if we are dealing with more sensitive information, such a performing a credit check, we will seek your express consent If you do not notify us, we will consider you to have consented to our continued use and disclosure/sharing of your personal information. Revoking consent to collection, use and/or disclose/share your information for certain purposes may affect our ability to provide you with Service(s). You may contact us using the information below.
How Crowd Security Processes Information on Behalf of our Clients: We may process information collected through our service(s) on behalf of our Client, such processing and use shall be limited to the purpose of providing the service for which the Client has engaged Crowd Security.
Crowd Security collects information under the direction of its Clients, and may not have a direct relationship with the individuals whose personal data it processes. If you are a customer of one of our Clients and would no longer like to be contacted by one of our Clients that use our service, please contact the Client that you interact with directly. We may transfer personal information to companies that help us provide our service. Transfers to subsequent third parties are covered by the service agreements with our Clients.
An individual who seeks access, or who seeks to correct, amend, or delete inaccurate data should direct his query to Crowd Security’s Client (the data controller). If requested to remove data we will respond within a reasonable timeframe.
We will retain personal data we process on behalf of our Clients for as long as needed to provide services to our Client. Crowd Security will retain this personal information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Collection from Minors
What Information Crowd Security Collects from Children:
- In General: Crowd Security’s website(s) and service(s) are intended for a general audience and we do not knowingly collect personal information from individuals that are less than 13 years of age.
How Crowd Security Protects Your Information: We limit access to your personal information and seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect your information. Unfortunately, no information transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please contact us immediately using the information below.
How You Update and Access Your Information: You have the right to amend or update inaccurate or incomplete personal information, request deletion of your personal information, or request that we no longer use it. You are responsible for ensuring the information you provide when using our website(s), registering for our service(s), and registering/activating your device(s) is accurate. To access, review or update your information for accuracy, please login to your Crowd Security account or contact us using the information below. Upon request we will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your personal information. We will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe.
How Crowd Security Retains Your Information: We will retain your personal information for as long as your account is active or for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this policy and as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
How Crowd Security Notifies You of Policy Changes: We may update this policy to reflect changes to our information practices. If we make material changes, we will notify you by email (sent to the e-mail address specified in your account) or by means of a notice on this website prior to the change becoming effective. We encourage you to periodically review this policy for the latest information on our privacy practices.
How to Contact Us: You can contact us about this policy by writing us at the address below:
Crowd Security Inc.
Attn: Privacy Officer
Suite 200, 625 – 14th Street NW
Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 2A1.